Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What about exercise!?

Ok so to report on the exercise front.  Last week I got in 35 minutes of arms/abs but was thwarted by a bug I picked up while in San Fran.  I did 20 minutes of arms/abs on Sunday morning when I woke up, the day after Marissa and I ran our 10 miles.  The hotel we stayed at also had a gym so on Wednesday morning Emily and I went for a little while in the morning and I got in about 15-20 minutes of arms/abs there and that was nice because they had exercise benches that I don't get to use when I do the workouts in my apartment.

As far as running, Marissa, Emily, and I had a fun 5 mile run through the streets of San Francisco.  I think this picture gives you an idea of what the hills are like!
So steep- my knees hurt the next day
 The cool part was that we went running on Wednesday so it was the first opportunity to do some sightseeing.  We ran (most of the way) up the ridiculously steep hill to Coit Tower which you can see in the background of the picture below.  It sits atop Telegraph Hill and is shaped like the nozzle of a fireman's hose.  We also got our first glimpse of the Golden Gate bridge from this spot.
 
Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill way in the distance
We then ran toward the water and stopped to see the sea lions at Pier 39.  We didn't bring our cameras along but luckily we got to go back to the sea lions and to the bridge later in the week.  Other interesting facts about the run included a homeless man hiding in a trashcan, other homeless people shouting "life's too short to run", and the awful fishy smells and animals hanging up in the open air markets of Chinatown.  Overall it was one of the most fun runs I've had in a while and we were definitely up for sightseeing stops.

Now for the bad news...I haven't run since last Wednesday.  A whole week of not running!  I'm feeling much better now but am still hanging onto a cough (which I never seem to be able to get rid of).  My plan is to get rest for a couple more days and ease back into running and my arms/abs routine.  I want to get a long run in sometime next week which will probably be toward the end of the week.  I'll keep you posted on my progress! 

No comments:

Post a Comment