Sunday, August 28, 2011

I survived an earthquake, hurricane, and the DC dmv!

Well it's been an eventful couple weeks since I moved to DC.  I could go on and on but I'll try and be as brief as I can. 
  • Switched to DC plates/license...a hassle but could have been worse.  They tried to convince me my birthday was 5 days later when they printed the wrong birthday on my first license.  I assured them they were wrong.  
  • Have failed to master traffic circles in this city.  No matter how well I think I'm doing I either take the wrong road or get honked at.  Will I ever learn?
  • Embraced the uniqueness of the new apartment.  Welcomed with a flood in the laundry room, disposed of a trapped mouse, killed the biggest spider ever and promptly bought & sprayed bug killer all over (during the hurricane), lost hot water for a day which resulted in "ladle dishes" where you ladle hot water from the stove to clean the dirty dishes.
  • Had the BEST weekend in OCNJ with college friends.  Lots of sun, drinks, laughs, and skee ball!
  • Lunch with Erin and Nick followed by custard that rivals Klines :)
  • Saw the Hope Diamond at the Museum of Natural History...along with lots of other cool stuff
  • Visited the Air & Space museum which was very neat.  Didn't get to do most of the upstairs so I'll have to go back.
  • Walked Arlington National Cemetery and saw the horses and the army blasting off cannons.  The views from Robert E. Lee's house of the city are amazing.  I don't think there is a better resting place for those that gave their own life to protect this country. 
  • Viewed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights at the National Archives.  I think this has been my favorite spot so far.  The public archives are so interesting and seeing the Constitution gives you the weirdest sense of connection to history.  This was also memorable due to the earthquake hitting and the sardine-like metro ride home.
  • Spent a short amount of time at both the American Indian museum and the Hirshhorn museum.
  • Met the puppies with Marissa.  Our outdoor plan to eat lunch in the park backfired and we ended up getting soaked.  The poor pups were drenched. We did however locate Georgetown Cupcakes in Bethesda and the red velvet cupcakes were yummy.  I was very pleased considering the mixed reviews I had heard.  
  • Headed to the Orioles game tonight on a whim.  Thanks Jamie and Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment